Britain's Smallest Vicar Is 4ft 10in But Is Big Hit With Parishioners

Britain's smallest vicar stands on a box to see over his pulpit but is a big hit with parishioners.

Rev Chris Harrington, 4ft 10in, only just pokes above the pews when he walks down the aisle.

Church bell ropes are lowered so he can reach, and he needs parents’ help to baptise babies in the font.

But families say they would not swap him for the world with congregations spilling out of churches at his weddings where he sings and plays the guitar.

Chris, 63, who once ran a recording studio, said: “I’m shrinking as I get older but people tend to remember me.

“I look smaller than I am as I have short legs and arms, which you can’t see with my robes.

“Vicars come in all shapes and sizes. But it doesn’t make things difficult — you just adapt.


Rev Harrington is rector at 700-year-old St Andrew’s in Heckington, Lincs, where he has broadcast sermons by village radio during the pandemic.

He presides over seven churches in the diocese but plays down his fanbase, saying: “There are some people that love me and maybe some that don’t!

“I’m approachable and I try to be myself, nobody else. It’s a great privilege to minister in such a wonderful building.”

A craftsman made him a portable lectern he can move to other chapels. He said: “I’m very grateful. I need to be seen by a congregation over the pews.

“Church of England pews are often on a little platform, a step up about six inches tall. So people can see me, I stand on a box behind the lectern. A lot of people who do readings stand on a box as well. It is only people who are particularly tall who don’t need it.

“I don’t usually hold the babies at baptisms either. I let mum and dad do that which often calms them.”

He found his calling eight years ago having previously run London-based Clock Studios where Sinitta recorded her 1985 hit So Macho. He also worked for an engineering firm.

Music: "Road Trip" SLYNK
Source: The Sun
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/patryn.worldlatestnews

Comments