Indian Cobra Rituel: Farmer allows cobras to bite his tongue and inject him with poison

A man in India, known as the ‘poison man’, allows a cobra to bite his tongue as part of a bizarre ritual.

Farmer Ram Rakha, 68, claims the snake injects a shot of venom when it bites him and gives him a quick high leaving him almost unconscious for a few seconds.

The farmer applying the snake to his tongue before he appears to lose consciousness and blood drips from his mouth.

But Rakha likes the experience. He said: ‘I feel no pain. I am not scared at all. I bleed for a few seconds and I’m a bit drowsy but then I’m fine. I enjoy doing this.

'It’s given me status in the area. I believe I’m blessed by God and I can take the poison without any affects.’

Rakha has been performing his stunt for over a decade in Surili village, in Rajasthan, northern India.




Large numbers of people gather every year to watch Rakha in the Tejaji fair where many others perform daring stunts.

Tejaji fair is a famous fair held annually in August, in Rajasthan, in the memory of Veer Tejaji, a folk idol loved by locals.

It’s a festival where traditional snake rituals help locals who may have been bitten by snakes in surrounding villages.

Every year Rakha performs the stunt in front of his worshippers and he immediately gets high.

Afterwards, Ram and his followers bless the snake and place it back in the wild.

However, the villagers believe the ‘poison man’ is blessed with supernatural powers that keep him unharmed.

Suraj Choudhary, 40, a farmer from a nearby village, said: ‘I come here every year and see him perform. Every time he does it it's remarkable. We never get bored of it.

'He stays in a temple near by and we have strong faith in him. Several people bitten by snakes go to see him. He sucks out the venom and makes them better.

'We all believe in him like he’s our God.'


Music: "Naraina" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
Source: DailyMail

Comments