Afghanistan's Bruce Lee: Abbas Alizada modern-day doppelganger of Martial Art Legend

From the ruins of a bombed-out palace above Kabul, a young Afghan man bearing a striking resemblance to kung fu legend Bruce Lee is high-kicking his way to Internet fame, aiming to show another side to his war-weary nation.

Kicking his way to internet fame, the 20-year-old hopes a burst of publicity on the war-torn country's small internet community will propel him to broader fame.

Short videos on his Facebook page "Bruce Hazara" show him performing back flips and striking Lee's famous poses.

The young man wants to show a different side to his war-weary nation.



"I want to be a champion in my country and a Hollywood star," Alizada said.

Training twice a week at Kabul's desolate Darulaman palace, Alizada is from a poor family of 10 children.

His parents could not afford the fees at an academy of Wushu, a Chinese mixed martial art, but the trainer took him under his wing.

He has been practicing martial arts since 14, and added: "The destruction here makes me sad, but it also inspires me. Who refused to be filmed in one room where the walls were daubed with graffiti reading "death to Americans."

"I used to copy Bruce Lee's tactics by watching his films, I even learnt to use the nunchaku this way."

Alizada told the BBC: "Bruce Lee was my hero when I was growing up, I used to dream about him.


"When I posted photos on my Facebook, people started talking about my similarity with Bruce Lee. When I looked at those photos and those of Bruce Lee, I actually could see the similarity.

"I think Bruce Lee was a role model, as an athlete and as a charachter. I may not be Bruce Lee but I'll follow his footsteps as long as a live."

Alizada said: "The only news that comes from Afghanistan is about war... I am happy that my story is a positive one."

Music : Vadodora Chill Mix by Kevin MacLeod
Source : Mirror , Reuters , Afghan Bruce Lee - Abbas Alizada facebook
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patryn.worldlatestnews

Comments