CCTV Grandfather with tuxedo fought off THREE crowbar-wielding thugs after his house being burgled

This is the incredible moment a brave great-grandfather fought off three crowbar-wielding thugs while still dressed in his dinner suit after he returned home to find his house being burgled.

Businessman Andrew Adamson, 59, was returning home from a social event with his wife Liz, 58, when he noticed his front door had been forced open and three intruders were inside his property.

CCTV footage, taken from an alleyway outside his home in Kettering, Northamptonshire, captured the terrifying incident and shows the three masked suspects threatening Mr Adamson with a 2ft long crowbar.

The shocking footage has been revealed for the first time after two of the three gang members were jailed for the aggravated burglary.



Mr Adamson, whose wife Liz ran for help as soon as she realised the property was being burgled, was still wearing his dinner jacket and carrying a briefcase when he fought off the attackers.

The father-of-three struggled with the men in the alleyway, outside his front door, and didn't even back down when they threatened him with the crowbar and a razor blade.

Incredibly, he took on all three of the men entirely by himself and managed to eject them from his property one-by-one before they scarpered down the alley.

The grandfather-of-four was left with blood pouring from a head wound after they fled with his briefcase, which contained £400 worth of possessions.

Mr Adamson, who has lived at the house with his wife for over 30 years, had to have seven stitches to his head following the brutal attack.

He said: 'We came home and they were already in there. My wife opened the door and thought it was my son playing but then realised it wasn't.

'The next thing we know the chap comes out with the iron bar and sparks were flying off it when he hit it off the wall so he was really trying to whack me.

'I was trying to force him off and one slipped by me and took my briefcase.


'I followed them out into the street and I got hold of the other fella but the taller assailant came back for him and pulled a razor out so I decided that was the time to let go.

'I got hit several times over the side of my head and had to have seven stitches. I was bleeding like a stock pig.

'If my wife had been here on her own that night I dread to think what would have happened.

'They came here because, I believe, they thought there were large amounts of money here. But that just proves their lack of intelligence.

'I was not just going to let them stand by and ransack my house - I did what any good husband would do. I wanted to protect my home and protect my wife.

'There was no way I was going to let them go without a fight. They say an Englishman's home is his castle - but I think I just acted on instinct.

'I was not going to let them get away with it - and somehow I managed to turf them all out of the house one by one.'

The one minute 27 second video clip of the incident, which occurred on December 18, 2010, helped convict one of the intruders.

Duncan Berry, 23, was identified in the footage and pleaded guilty to the aggravated burglary at Northampton Crown Court.

He was sentenced to four-and-half years in a young offenders' institute on July 4, 2011, while he was aged 20.

During the struggle, Mr Adamson also managed to grab the balaclava from the face of one of the other men – which later led to his arrest.

The mask was kept by police as evidence and after more than three years of testing, a DNA match emerged when David Jarvie was arrested for affray.

The 53-year-old was then arrested for his part in the burglary and owned up to the break-in during a police interview - telling officers he had been forced to take part by his drug dealer.

Jarvie, of Kettering, admitted aggravated burglary and actual bodily harm at an earlier hearing and was jailed for five-and-a-half years last week.

Sentencing Recorder Stuart Sprawson said: 'Your explanation maintains that you came under pressure to do your drug supplier a favour and that you were a lookout.

'However, you were inside the property and violence was used by you. The victim and his wife were both present.


'I am sure they were not only terrified but also horrified by what happened.'

Prosecutor Guy Bowden told the court: 'The homeowner and his wife returned home at about 12.40am after an evening out.

'As they approached their front door they found it open and they were confronted by two men, one of whom was armed with a black metal pole.

'The victim was struck several times over the head with the pole and his wife was pushed away, she made good her escape and went to get help.

'The victim continued to try to repel the attack and in the course of that he grabbed a balaclava-like mask off one of the men.'

In court, Jarvie even praised Mr Adamson for his bravery for confronting his gang on the night.

His defence barrister William Falshaw said: 'He knows it must have been terrifying for the victims.

'He says himself that the victim was a very brave man to stand up to a whole group of men, some of whom were armed.'


Source : DailyMail 

Comments