‘Prankster’ robbery witness tricks ABC TV reporter

When TV reporters descended on the University of Houston to report on an armed robbery one student decided to have his five minutes of fame.

Broadcast journalist Sayyed Jamal Hamideh showed his upmost respect for the profession he hopes to go into by telling female reporter Crystal Kobza, from KTRK ABC13, that his name was Abu Sharmouta - which means father of a whore in Arabic.

News of his performance soon spread, particularly through the Arab-speaking world where it was met mainly with good humor.



He told vocativ.com: 'I'm kind of a big jokester and I was just doing it to see if I could do this and get my mind off finals.

'I didn't expect it to blow up like this.

'Arabs will laugh at the smallest things so I think getting an Arabic cuss word on TV and getting not only the woman to say it but the other people to say it was just a funny thing for them.'

Crystal Kobza repeatedly addressed him by the name during the interview which viewers found particularly amusing.

People took to Twitter including Sarah Jabari who wrote: 'I've never seen my dad laugh so much in his life he kept saying Abu sharmouta for a good five mins and kept on laughing ha ha'. 


Hamideh, who has become an overnight Arab American sensation, said: 'Mostly, it’s people tweeting from the Gaza strip, from Egypt, from places like that telling me how big of a smile it put on their parents’ faces or their whole family’s faces.'

Three men robbed six students at gunpoint at a University of Houston dorm last week. No one was injured.


Source : ABC , DailyMail

Comments