Uruguayan goalkeeper Juan Obelar loses FOUR fingers in horrific wood-cutting machine accident

A Uruguayan goalkeeper has been forced to retire after losing four fingers in a horrific domestic accident.

Juan Obelar, a former player for Uruguayan giants Penarol, was left with only a thumb on his left hand after Monday's sickening events.

'I feel so awful, this is the most horrendous thing that has ever happened to me. It is a very painful moment,' he told local media.

'I was doing a few things for my house, putting wood through a plane and the next thing I know the machine ripped off four fingers.

'I was on my own, I didn’t have help from anyone and the only digit I had left was my thumb.'



Obelar will undergo surgery to reconstruct his hand, although there was no possibility of saving his fingers.

'They have already told me I am not going to recover a single finger, but they will try to rebuild me a bit,' he added.

'It’s painful, but God knows why these things happen.'

Obelar, who was without a club at the time of the accident, had been taking six months off from football before a planned return in January.

While the fact that Obelar was a goalkeeper meant his retirement from the game was inevitable, he is not the only professional sportsman to have lost digits in a gruesome accident.

New Zealand cricketer Martin Guptill is known to teammates as ‘Marty Two Toes’ because he lost three toes when a forklift truck drove over his foot as a child.

However it doesn’t seem to have hampered his career much – as anyone who witnessed his blistering 189 not out from 155 balls in an ODI against England this summer will testify.


Source : DailyMail

Comments