Man of Steel in Steel City! Security guard dressed as Superman catches shoplifter

A Superman fan leapt into action and foiled a real-life crime by carrying out a citizen's arrest on a suspected shoplifter - while dressed in the superhero's iconic blue and red caped outfit.

Families cheered as Luke Junior, 24, detained the thief and held him until police arrived at the store.

The film fan, who was wearing a £500 costume imported from Argentina, was taking part in a charity fundraising event when he sprung into action.

He spotted the man running from the store in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, being chased by staff and sprung into action.

Luke, who was already nicknamed Superman after pulling two men out of a car following an accident, grabbed the man as he tried to escape.




Two police officers arrived at the frozen food store a short while later and the man was led away in handcuffs as the Superman theme tune played on the charity PA system.

Luke, who hopes to be a fireman, said: 'The last thing you want to do is run straight into Superman. He was going nowhere but the police station.

'He tried to run away from the manager so I grabbed him again and he was kicking off, then I ended up physically restraining him against the window.

'The two policewomen were very professional. They didn't even crack a smile but I can imagine they might have done when they got to the police station later that night.

'But everyone else was cheering and clapping, then the Superman music came on. I went back to the children and, as Superman would, I told them to always stay on the right side of the law.

'I got the nickname Superman after a crash when I was 16 or 17. I ended up dragging two boyracers out of their car when they smashed into my friend's vehicle.

'I'm waiting until the fire service can recruit again and then I want to save people.'

Luke, who works as a security guard at a shopping mall, was helping out at Gleadless Valley Community Action Group day on June 22 when he was sprung into action.

Cash Converters worker Daniel Mottram said: 'Our friend in the superhero suit pinned the man up against the wall and held him while the police came, then handed him over.

'Our DJ played the Superman theme as the police carted him off and there were cheers from everyone.



'He was fantastic. If we had more like him we wouldn't have any trouble at all.'

Karen Bayliss, assistant manager at Heron Foods, said: 'We'd been watching the customer.

'A sales assistant and the manager confronted him outside. They needed some help and Superman came along.'

Luke, who has a 'Lois Lane' girlfriend Charlotte Smith, 24, and a ferret called Kal-El - Superman's Kryptonian name - said: 'The main priority was protecting kids and the public. The adrenaline was pumping, you slip in and hopefully know what to do.

'My mum said I should be some sort of superhero symbol and I feel I am now. When I was younger I always said I wanted to be some sort of Superman and the things I'm doing at the moment it's like I already am.'

A 38-year-old man admitted stealing seven packs of bacon from the store when he appeared before Sheffield Magistrates' Court. He will appear at court again later this month.


Source : DailyMail

Comments

Post a Comment