Shark Forcing Head Into Cage Caught On Camera

Onlookers fear the worst as the dramatic moment a great white pushed its way into a diving cage is caught on camera.

A Canadian tourist has captured dramatic footage on his mobile phone of the moment a great white shark tried to smash through a diving cage off South Africa.

In the video, the shark crashes its head into the cage as divers try to get out of the way. Onlookers can be heard screaming and swearing.

Bryan Plummer, who filmed the video, told Sky News he only decided to go on the trip because his sister and friends were visiting him from Canada.

He said: "Shark diving is one of the things to do in South Africa so we kind of figured why not. It wasn't on my list of things I had to do while I was here but with them being there I thought we would."



Mr Plummer, who had never before been shark watching or even worn a wetsuit, spent about 25 minutes in the water watching three sharks who had swum close to the cage after a tuna head had been thrown out by the crew as bait.

"When our time was up, I jumped out, got dry and picked up my iPhone - it's kind of an expensive outing so I wanted to catch as much as I could," he said.

As they watched, the great white pushed its head through the gap in the front of the cage designed to give divers an unobstructed view.

Twisting and turning, half in and half out of the cage the divers can be seen in the footage darting away before the scene is obscured by the thrashing of the shark.

"We saw some red in the water and we thought for sure that the guy in the cage had been bit ... people started screaming and I ended up swearing," Mr Plummer said.

"I realised something bad was happening but the film was already rolling so carried on and then yelled 'get back, get back' as I didn't really know what was going to happen.

"There were some women who were losing their minds because they thought this guy had had his head bit off."

But after a few seconds the great white swam away and the divers in the cage emerged unscathed. One diver told the others on the boat he had escaped the shark's jaws by swimming down below the opening and out of its reach.

"Roger Grey popped up and had a huge scream of joy. I can't even imagine what he saw down there but his reaction dictated the mood on the boat," Mr Plummer said.

"He took it very well considering."

Mr Plummer and his friends even returned to the cage for a second dive after the attack.

"I was definitely much more alert the second time, much more aware of where I was putting my fingers and toes, it kind of brought me back to reality."

"I do believe it was a freak accident and it wouldn't happen again ... but it have never really been that totally into sharks.

Source: SkyNews

Comments